MPFD History

Fire service to the city of Mineral Point and the surrounding area was unofficially formed by volunteers who formed two separate departments, rural and city sometime prior to 1835, and provided protection on a catch as catch can basis for the better part of the century. Their equipment for the most part was made locally, and consisted of a ladder wagon, hose cart, and a teeter pump.

MPFDFollowing a fire and explosion in 1964 that severely damaged the firehouse and four trucks, the city built a new station.

In 1898, the city of Mineral Point incorporated the rural and city departments, and on a gentlemen's agreement between the two parties, fire protection service was established for the city as well as the adjoining rural areas.